Google Translator

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Kimekomi




I decided I wanted to try my hand at making a Kimekomi cone.  I saw this technique on Pinterest first using Christmas balls.  It is originally from Japan and is fabric tucking.  You can find some tutorials on Pinterest but most of them are in a foreign language.  You can get the gist just from watching even though I didn't understand a word.


I used a pattern that I found on Pinterest.  You can find bunches of them.  The step below is using carbon paper to transfer the pattern to a Poly Styrofoam cone.  I used a marker to make the lines clearer.   Then you use a x-acto knife to cut all the lines. 


I am certainly no expert but it turned out to be fun using different fabrics to get the desired effect.
I ended up using a seam ripper to tuck the fabric into the grooved lines. 


It is important that you use enough material to get into the groove so that it won't come out.


The picture below is my completed project.  Although, I am still working on what I will put on the top.  I will probably use a star but still haven't decided as yet.  I did add buttons to Santa and a pom- pom for his hat.  I couldn't quite get the star on the top of the tree so I added a metal star.  It worked fine!



I could have just done the Santa but decided to add a deer to the back.   It gave me more practice.  I hope to do a few more and hopefully get better at it.  But this one was really fun!  Will probably sell it at our Christmas Fair in November.   


It was really HOT today so this was a fun project in my craft room with my air conditioner!  Hope you all stay cool!








2 comments: